Unit 1 Test Review
1) Citizenship Pyramid
a. Briefly explain the ‘Citizenship Pyramid’ (what are the different levels, rights and responsibilities…)
b. Which group or community are you most involved with in your life? How?
2) Be able to define different forms of government with a current real world example. (democracy, monarchy, communism, theocracy…)
3) Describe the differences between the three types of leadership (autocratic, democratic and laissez-faire) and identify when/why each should be used.
4) Describe and identify the fundamental beliefs and values associated with democracy (rule of law, freedom of expression, religion, speech…, common goals for common good, consensus, responsibilities towards society, equality, majority rule, minority rights, direct and representative...)
5) Evolution of Democracy – Compare democracy that originated in Athens to democracy today in Canada.
6) Democratic vs Autocratic societies (Totalitaria reading) – be able to compare rights and freedoms in a democratic society vs. an autocratic (ie right to choice – or gov making choices for you)
7) Be able to talk about current events we have discussed in class (Global politics – Conflict between Israel and Gaza, Elections in United States vs. changing of power in communist China, Rule of Law and Toronto politics with Rob Ford)
a. Ex: Briefly describe why Gaza and Israel were fighting. Do you feel that violence is justified in this case?
b. Both China and the United States changed their government in the past month. Briefly describe the difference between the processes in each country of how they change their leaders.
c. Explain how the case of Rob Ford being removed from office in Toronto is an example of Rule of Law.
8) Given our discussion in class of citizenship responsibilities and rights, reflect on the following: For all high school students, getting involved in voluntary organizations is now a component of the Ontario Curriculum.
a. Do you agree or disagree with mandatory volunteer work? Explain why or why not.
b. How do you think voluntary work helps an individual to become a better citizen? Give 2 - 3 reasons / examples.
Types of leadership and governments
Rights and responsibilities
Participating in the community
Types of Government
- Democracy, Theocracy, Monarchy, Constitutional Monarchy, Dictatorship, Communism, Socialism, Autocracy
Evolution of Democracy through history
Human RIghts / Freedoms
Magna Carta / Rule of Law
Citizenship - Rights and Responsibilities, who is / is not included
Leadership Styles - Laissez-faire, autocratic, democratic
Social Contract - Hobbes and Rousseau